Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 17

Stayed in same hotel two nights. Rare on this trip. Went to see the Richard Nixon Library which is on the other side of LA from where staying. I can drive LA traffic. Experience from DC and Atlanta was useful. California does not post mile markers and only puts exit number on the sign at exit.

The Nixon Library was interesting. Different than the Regan but just as good. Reagan has the Air Force One, but Nixon has the Sears house he was born in and lived first seven years.

It was interesting looking at all the stuff and noticing a few campaign items they and I have from 1972. I was a student volunteer for him and visited reelection headquarters several times (CREP). What was really interesting was seeing picture of all people on White House lawn watching Brezhnev arriving in 1972 and realizing I was one of them. The Explorer post I was in was invited to be there as crowd welcoming and I went. Only time I was on grounds other than a tour.

That evening we had dinner with my Uncle Jim and cousin Allan. Had last seen Uncle Jim in LA airport in about 1994 and Allan at my grandmother's in 1976. We had a good time catching up on family and visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment